Film Screening: LAND/TRUST (2022)
Directed by Ruth Anne Beutler
LAND/TRUST (2022) is drawn from a body of material collected for the Amah Mutsun Land Trust and Tribal Band archives starting in the summer of 2021 and continuing to the present. The film documents the effort to restore the coastal prairie in the Quiroste Valley Cultural Preserve at Año Nuevo State Park, which encompasses the former site of Mitenne, a village of the Awaswas-speaking Quiroste people. In the absence of known Quiroste descendants, The Amah Mutsun Tribal band is currently stewarding the land and maintaining the memory of the Quiroste ancestors. Through re-establishing traditional land management practices and an intensive plant propagation project, the work is revitalizing many native coastal prairie plant populations. LAND/TRUST invites a meditative engagement with the land, plants, and those who care for them over the course of one year in this ongoing work of many generations.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
Exemplary films from the Social Documentation M.F.A. cohorts (2021 and 2022) rotate in an exhibition called Frames Per Second. The films document communities, cultures, issues, and individuals who are marginalized in the current landscape of representation, and reveal how the documentarians are working for social transformation. Find more information about the filmmakers here on the Sesnon Gallery website.
- Attend in person
- Free and open to the public
- Please read and follow COVID-19 protocols as outlined here on the Arts website
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Jan 3–Jan 14, 2023
Hours of operation for the Sesnon Art Gallery
Nov 9, 2022
SocDoc screening at the Del Mar Theatre in downtown Santa Cruz
- The closest parking lots to the Gallery are #124 and #125 at Porter College.
- Purchase a campus permit or use ParkMobile.
- Visitors with DMV placards or plates may park for free in DMV spaces, Medical spaces, or ParkMobile spaces without additional payment, or in time zones for longer than the posted time.
- See Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS) for visitor parking information, ParkMobile instructions, and a campus parking map.
Saturday, January 14
Sesnon Gallery, Porter College
Baskin Service Road, Santa Cruz, California 95064