Records Disposition Day
FREE, confidential records pick-up & shred service--Thursday, July 21, 2022
Records Disposition Day
The Records and Information Management (RIM) office invites your department/unit to participate in Records Disposition Day on Thursday, July 21, 2022. Disposition Day is an annual event that encourages the safe, secure destruction of inactive, confidential university records and the transfer of historical records to the University Archives, while promoting the UCSC Records Management Program and policies.
Sign up no later than July 12, 2022 by contacting Patty Musser at email@example.com. Shred bins will be delivered to your office by our certified, confidential shredding company on Tuesday, July 19 and picked up on Thursday, July 21. Please note that someone will need to be in your office on both days. We strongly encourage use of our same-day-turnaround option on July 21 for those who are prepared to fill the bin and have it taken away all at one time.
Important Procedures for Records Disposition:
- Collect your inactive records for pick-up (confidential, non-records, past retention) in accordance with the UC Records Retention Schedule.
- Inactive records of historical value should be reviewed in consultation with the University Archivist for possible transfer to the University Archives. See http://guides.library.ucsc.edu/UARCtransfer or contact the University Archivist for guidance in assessing the historical value of your records.
- For each paper record purged, the corresponding electronic record must be purged as well.
- Never put confidential, personally identifiable information (PII), or information that could be inappropriately used into an open public recycle container. Use the locked shred bins that are delivered to your office before Dispo Day and store them within a locked office until they are picked up. CD’s and DVD’s should be collected in a separate box for pickup; please don’t put them in the shred bin.
- DO NOT destroy records that are under a Public Records request, pending or foreseeable litigation or investigation activity, or under audit.
- Enjoy a more spacious and clutter-free work area knowing that you have complied with the UC Records Retention Schedule!
- View past Disposition Day results here.
Thursday, July 21 at 9:00am to 5:00pm